Algae Needs Your Support in the Farm Bill
Please add your name to our letter to Congress. It only take a few seconds of your time!
The U.S. Congress has begun work drafting the next Farm Bill, which will lay out agriculture policy, programs and funding for the next 5 years and beyond. With the algae sector increasingly moving into agricultural markets, such as food, feed, soil health and nutrient management, agriculture policy is becoming increasingly important. The outcome of the Farm Bill process has the potential to greatly impact the development of the algae sector.
ABO is undertaking a multi-faceted campaign to ensure the Farm Bill strongly supports future algae research, development and commercial deployment.
The first step in our campaign is protecting and improving core programs in the Farm Bill’s Energy Title. The Farm Bill Energy Title is about much more than energy. It is home to:
- Biorefinery Assistance Program — the core lending program for commercial-scale advanced biofuel, renewable chemical, and biobased product manufacturing projects, including algae facilities.
- USDA BioPreferred Program — including the USDA BioPreferred label program and federal procurement preference for biobased products.
- Biomass R&D Program — joint USDA-DOE program supporting research and development of biomass feedstocks, advanced biofuels and biobased products.
Together with our partners in the Agriculture Energy Coalition, we have preserved and improved Farm Bill Energy Title programs over many years. It is more important than ever to do so again, as the entire title is under attack. It is fair to say that without your participation we may not have an Energy Title in the upcoming farm bill.
Energy Title programs cost well less than 1% of total farm bill outlays, and pack a development punch for the very modest investment. Over $5 billion has been leveraged since the title’s inception to support economic development and jobs across rural America.
Please add your organization or business to the National Sign-on Support Letter immediately and ask other friendly groups/businesses to do so as well. It will take less than 1 minute of your time.
The sign-on deadline is February 28th COB.
Benefits of Membership
- A voice on ABO policy initiatives.
- Access to members-only resources.
- Discounted pricing to ABO events, and more!