Careers in Algae
ABO is dedicated to the advancement of the algae sector. If you are an algae professional looking for new job opportunities in the algae industry or a company/organization seeking new employees, the ABO careers pare is here to connect you.
Employers, ABO will post job openings pertinent to the algal industry on its website for 30 days. Platinum, Gold, and Silver members of the ABO receive this service free of charge. Non-ABO members or members holding a non-qualifying membership may purchase job listings for $100 for 30 days. Please send job description and qualification requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job seekers, please see the postings below and follow the individual instructions for application. ABO does not field inquiries for outside positions.
PhD Fellowship, Dalhousie University
Application Deadline: 1 October, 2021
We are seeking a PhD student for a project coupling nutrient remediation and recycling of aquaculture waste through cultivation of microalgae and thraustochytrids. The focus is on identifying suitable candidate species, optimizing biomass composition and yield rates, and maximizing remediation efficiency. The project is supported by a 4-year Ocean Graduate Excellence Network (OGEN) fellowship funded by the National Research Council of Canada and the Ocean Frontier Institute (https://oceanfrontierinstitute.com/ogen). The fellowship supports a generous stipend and dedicated funds for travel and professional development. The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Oceanography program at Dalhousie University (https://www.dal.ca/faculty/science/oceanography.html) and will be supervised by Dr Hugh MacIntyre (Dalhousie) and Dr Patrick McGinn (NRC).
Applicants should have an MS in oceanography, marine science, aquaculture, or a related field, and must be able to start the program by January, 2022.
Prior experience with axenic culturing techniques, bio-optics (absorption and fluorescence spectroscopy), and biomass composition analysis are strongly preferred but are not required. The principals are committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in recruitment and training: membership in an equity-seeking group will be considered as one of the evaluation criteria.
To apply, please email an application package consisting of a cover letter, CV, and transcripts to Jackie.Hurst@Dal.Ca, with “OGEN Fellowship Application” in the subject line.
Director of Analytical Sciences & Informatics, Synthetic Genomics
At Synthetic Genomics, Inc., we are dedicated to developing and commercializing genomic-driven solutions to address global challenges. We are currently seeking a Director of Analytical Sciences and Informatics to join our fast-growing, dynamic, and collaborative team in La Jolla, CA. The director will oversee the integration of our analytical chemistry and research informatics teams as we develop and apply the data-driven analytics which enables our algal engineering efforts for biofuel production.
The role is responsible for overseeing a broad range of activities including analytical chemistry, bioinformatics, and data analytics (e.g., database development, statistical analysis, and data visualization). Working closely with diverse, cross-functional teams both across the R&D organization as well as with external stakeholders, the successful candidate will drive the implementation of new data analytics tools and methods that facilitate our R&D program and our efforts towards larger-scale production.
- Participates in establishing strategic plans and objectives.
- Provides high-level guidance and support to employees and other managers. Regularly interacts with executives and/or external influencers on matters affecting the organization.
- Leads/manages analytical & bioinformatics activities across the R&D organization and external service providers.
- Anticipates and recognizes analytical & informatic challenges and makes recommendations for solutions and allocation of resources needed to meet company goals.
- Champions approaches and builds tools that preserve scientific rigor and quality.
- Support and improve experimental design regarding anticipated data needs for projects.
- End-to-end analysis of project data that includes quality control, data qualification, hypothesis testing, interpretation, and subsequent presentation.
- Analyzes and presents data reports that translate complex ideas into relevant and intuitive explanations. This may include conference abstracts, manuscripts, and informatic deliverables for both grants and patent applications.
- Maintains awareness of relevant literature, attends national meetings, and keeps up with new techniques and approaches.
Required Experience and Skills
- Typically requires a minimum of 10 years of experience, including at least 5 years of successful leadership experience, and a Ph.D. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, or related field in an industrial/commercial laboratory setting.
- Knowledge/experience with Bioinformatics/ NGS / Data analytics highly desired.
- Proven track record of achievement in analytical sciences demonstrated by highly cited publications, impactful tools, products, or data sets used by the scientific community, presentations at international conferences, and awards.
- A diverse knowledge of modern biochemistry, organic chemistry, physical chemistry, and analytical chemistry.
- A track record of productivity with peer-reviewed publications and patents.
- Prior experience in project management in a research or industry setting.
- Proven leader of technical teams and subordinates.
- Build and sustain employee engagement by creating a culture of efficient execution and an environment in which individuals and teams can excel and continuously improve.
- Demonstrated state-of-the-art technical knowledge particularly with chromatographic separations (LC&GC), quantitative MRM MS, accurate-mass MS, MSn, modern extraction techniques, small-scale purification strategies, NMR, and FTIR.
- Experience with analysis of complex analytes in difficult matrices in food, fuels, and nutritional products (e.g., lipids, proteins, carbohydrates, natural products)
- Experience with modern data acquisition and analysis software with chemometrics and statistics.
- Able to work independently and within a team setting, possessing the flexibly to adapt to changing priorities across multiple interdisciplinary teams.
- Demonstrate initiative in the implementation of new projects and managing the necessary staffing required to meet project goals and deliverables.
- Critical thinking and proven problem-solving skills
- Can effectively establish priorities amongst competing project requests and anticipate trends which may change staffing or equipment requirements.
- Experience working with external contractors, such as partner industrial companies or external laboratories involved in chemical analysis.
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to collaborate, seek constructive feedback, build relationships, promote teamwork, and remain flexible and open-minded. Able to quickly adapt to change.
Please apply directly on our website: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=b1257179-e0e3-4240-87ad-8bc2cd5e855e&ccId=19000101_000001&type=MP&lang=en_US
Site Manager, Synthetic Genomics
Some farms grow food. Ours grows fuel.
Under the direction of the Director, Phototrophic Production the Site Manager will be responsible for ensuring day to day operations at the Farm are running on schedule and within scope while constantly striving for operational excellence by optimizing and making the Farm run as efficiently as possible. The Site Manager plays a key role in the overall mission at Synthetic Genomics by providing operational insight and organization to our foundational research in the field. Collaboration and partnership with leadership onsite and at the La Jolla facility is a must for this role to be successful.
This position will be focused on developing and promoting better operational practices through the collaborative operation of multi-scale algae cultivation system(s). The position will require a self-motivated, detail orientated individual with excellent listening, communication, and problem-solving skills.
A TYPICAL DAY ON THE FARM
- You’ll lead a team of professionals including the Facilities Supervisor, Lab Manager, Production Supervisor, Operations and Safety Supervisor, and when needed, assist with Production R&D efforts.
- You will work directly with the Director of Phototrophic Production in setting the yearly site goals and operational standards for the site.
- You’ll coordinate with the Production R&D coordinator and Research Agronomist to ensure all experimental efforts are being coordinated and deployed to the field and that systems are prepared and ready for use.
- Collaborate with the Farm’s Production Manager to ensure pilot operations are running on schedule and farm operations are tailored to fit the pilot demands.
- You’ll work closely with the Farm’s Facilities Supervisor to coordinate and communicate Preventative Maintenance Schedules and routine Farm Maintenance and ensure all activities are done on time and on budget.
- You’ll work in collaboration with the Farm’s Lab Manager to ensure all needs are met regarding analytical system maintenance, consumable management and purchasing.
- You will work directly with our Operations Supervisor and Human Resources to on board new teamembers and assist with coordinating the IT needs without our IT department.
- You’ll collaborate with the site leadership team to identify opportunities for continuous improvements in operational efficiency, throughput, and yield. Our goal is to optimize Farm uptime and minimize any Farm downtime.
- Nothing else matters without a safe environment! You will work with our Safety Team to foster a culture where safety is non-negotiable.
- Since Synthetic Genomics values a teamworking spirit and getting the job done, your skills will be used in a variety of productive and collaborative ways to support of mission of changing the word!!
STRENGTHS OF A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Operations Management, Chemistry, Biology or Engineering
- 5 or more years’ experience in a manufacturing/processing environment required. If that experience happens to be in the field of large-scale algae farm management, that’s a win!!!
- You have at least 5 years of leadership experience in team building, delegation, and performance management. We value the continued development of our team, being a mentor matters.
- If you have had experience in translation of new process or improvements through development and scale-up phases, that would be preferred.
- You possess excellent organizational, time management, and communication skills as well as the ability to adapt to change.
- Experience in downstream material handling and supply chain management will give you a leg up!!
- You are a champion of safety and environmental stewardship. We take site safety very seriously and so should you!
- You have the ability develop team members by encouraging individual initiative to achieve personal and organizational goals.
- You understand the value of communication.
- You have the technical aptitude to learn and understand the algal production processes.
- You strive for continuous improvement – Never Satisfied.
Scientist/Senior Scientist—Systems Biology, Synthetic Genomics
Full Time – Professional, La Jolla, CA, US
At Synthetic Genomics, Inc., we are dedicated to developing and commercializing genomic-driven solutions to address global challenges. We are currently seeking a Scientist/Senior Scientist to join our fast-growing, dynamic, and collaborative team in La Jolla, CA.
The Scientist will apply their extensive knowledge in systems biology to accelerate our research and development efforts toward delivering commercially viable algae strains for fuels and other bio-products. The successful candidate will have extensive experience in leveraging a suite of systems biology approaches in the context of strain engineering and gaining a deep understanding of biology in production processes from lab to field scale. A keen interest and experience in systems biology of photosynthetic algae is highly desired.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Scientist will work with project leads and teams of scientists, contributing significant intellectual input into the design of experiments, employing advanced systems biology approaches to guide strain development.
- Carefully execute/oversee laboratory experiments, including growth of photosynthetic microbes under meticulously defined conditions.
- Contribute to the design, building and testing of metabolic engineering strategies to improve algal productivity.
- Work closely with the Bioinformatics team to design cutting-edge analysis pipelines for Systems Biology and omics data.
- Consistently demonstrate initiative in implementing projects and/or necessary work.
- Regularly present results to internal and external stakeholders.
- Keep organized and detailed documentation. Develop SOPs for documentation and knowledge transfer.
- Keep up to date with current literature in strain engineering and implement new technologies as relevant.
- Requires a Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Molecular/Cell Biology, Plant Biology, Bioengineering, or a related field and 0-4 years (or 6+ years at Senior Scientist level) of relevant postdoctoral or industrial experience.
- Broad and detailed knowledge in metabolic engineering of photosynthetic organisms.
- Experience in microbial culturing, sampling, and extracting biomolecules for omics analysis.
- Demonstrated use of metabolomics, transcriptomics, and/or proteomics data for strain improvement.
- Working knowledge and experience with modern nucleic acid sequence analysis and other bioinformatics tools is desirable.
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills to facilitate interactions with a highly interdisciplinary team.
- Experience working with eukaryotic algae or other microbial photoautotrophs is an advantage.
- Programming and data analysis skills (e.g., Python, R, Matlab) toward systems-level interpretation of complex biological data are highly desirable.
Please apply directly on our website: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=b1257179-e0e3-4240-87ad-8bc2cd5e855e&ccId=19000101_000001&type=MP&lang=en_US
Research Engineer – Full Time
MicroBio Engineering Inc. is a biotechnology company developing algae-based technologies for greenhouse gas abatement, wastewater resource recovery, and production of bioproducts and biofuels. We support corporate and government clients with their scientific and engineering endeavors in these fields.
Job Description: You will work with a small team of scientists and engineers to conduct experimental work on use of microbial cultures to solve environmental problems and produce bioproducts. The research will be conducted both in the laboratory and in outdoor bioreactors. We are conducting major projects on utilization of CO2 from air for cultivation of microalgae to be used in nutritional and other products. Separate projects focus on recovery of nutrients from polluted waters. This is an opportunity to work with experienced professionals in a unique research setting.
We are looking for candidates with the following attributes:
- Ability to analyze and synthesize prior research and literature.
- Design experiments to test hypotheses.
- Communicate and coordinate tasks with team members.
- A self-starter who takes ownership of assignments.
- Proactive in organizing tasks and workflow.
- Comfortable in both support and leadership roles.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Job duties include:
- Protein isolation and characterization; assays for enzymatic and metabolic activities.
- Implement, validate new biochemical assays with minimal guidance.
- Prepare growth media; maintain and monitor microbial cultures.
- Conduct analytical tests to characterize growth performance and water chemistry.
- Design and build gas flow controllers, continuous water quality recorders, for example
- Record and organize data and observations into digital spreadsheets.
- Data analysis, statistics, and synthesis of experimental results; conclusions
- Draft project reports and publications.
- Position may require some travel.
- Familiarity with standard laboratory safety policies and protocols.
- Able to safely lift 50 lbs and have a valid driver’s license.
- Proficiency in laboratory math, including making solutions, buffers, dilutions, etc.
- Read and understand equipment manuals to troubleshoot instruments.
- Experience with data analysis techniques and software (Excel, Python, R)
- Familiarity with data logging and control systems, comfortable with writing simple scripts (LabView, Python) to configure experimental equipment.
- Keep complete, concise, clear records; organize, schedule tasks based on project needs.
- Occasional early mornings, evenings, and weekends work, depending on experiments.
- Prior work with photosynthetic cell culture a plus.
Desired Education: Depending on experience, the position is open to candidates with B.S. to Ph.D. degrees in Chemical Engineering or similar majors, with experience in Biotechnology, Environmental Engineering, Biochemistry, Oceanography, Aquaculture and related disciplines.
Job location: San Luis Obispo, CA. Modest travel is required.
Please email your resume and cover letter (indicate desired start date) to email@example.com. The position is to be filled starting in September, but a later starting date will be considered. Current project funding is for two years, future employment is contingent on new or additional project funding.
Research Specialist – Contracted Work
Cyanotech Corporation is a world leader in microalgae technology, producing BioAstin® and Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica®, and classified an “essential business.”
This is a full-time, limited-term, non-exempt position that will be employed through a contract staffing agency. The principal job responsibility is to conduct algal cultivation research funded by, and under the terms of, a grant to Cyanotech Corporation by the US Department of Energy (the “OSPREY” project; https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2019/09/f67/2029-1657_New_Mexico_Consortium_Summary.pdf).
The individual reports to Cyanotech’s Director of Applied Research. The individual is responsible for growing the alga, Nannochloropsis, at laboratory and minipond scales at the Cyanotech Innovation Center; collecting and interpreting growth and algal quality data on a scheduled basis; processing samples of various types from the cultures and shipping them to other participants in the grant for analysis; identifying, isolating, and performing analyses on eukaryotic pests and weeds that appear in the cultures; participating in regularly-scheduled conference calls and other communications related to the research; preparing and submitting regular reports to the research
team; assisting the Director of Applied Research in preparing formal reports and scientific publications. The position is available for a maximum of three years from July 2020, contingent on continued funding from the grantor.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Maintains laboratory stock cultures of the experimental alga Nannochloropsis.
- Performs work required to rear Nannochloropsis in 200L miniponds at the Cyanotech Innovation Center, including media preparation, scaling of laboratory culture to appropriate volume for pond inoculation, preparing ponds to receive culture and maintaining those ponds, recording critical information (e.g. temperature, pH, salinity) while semi-continuous cultures are in place.
- Samples ponds on a regular basis and conducts analyses on those samples (e.g. density, growth rate, ash-free dry weight, photosynthetic efficiency, quality parameters.)
- Prepares samples for research by other laboratories (e.g., for metagenomic analyses of pond content) and sends these out in a regular and timely manner.
- Learns to recognize eukaryotic pests and weeds, isolates these contaminants into culture when feasible, and conducts microscopic and CNA-based procedures to identify and characterize them, and assess their impacts on Nannochloropsis.
- Keeps impeccable and secure laboratory notes, and shares these notes as appropriate with the Director of Applied Research and with OSPREY project team members.
- Participates in periodic (monthly) conference calls with OSPREY team members, and in other communications within the project.Form#RD-C1 Rev #1 6/17/2020
- Prepares reports to be shared among OSPREY project.
- Prepares reports to be shared among OSPREY project team members.
- Assists the Director of Applied Research and other OSPREY project team members in preparing reports to the grantor (US Department of Energy), conference presentations, and scientific papers.
- Works effectively with other personnel in the R&D Department.
- Complies with GMP and safety guidelines in all work duties. Helps maintain a safe laboratory.
- Performs all necessary tasks as directed by the supervisor, however tasks that are not within the terms of reference of the grant are not to be assigned unless explicitly arranged, and paid for, by Cyanotech Corporation.
- Performs other duties that may be assigned, under the conditions described above.
- Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology, Biology, Chemistry, Agriculture, Marine Science or relevant discipline.
- Two or more years of algal laboratory experience and/or experience in algal production or aquaculture. Experience with molecular biology (DNA) theory and techniques desirable.
- Ability to work efficiently, cooperatively, and with strong personal integrity in a fast-paced manufacture environment that has proprietary information to safeguard.
- Proficiency in math and PC-based computer applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Strong math and statistics skills.
- Strong problem-solving aptitude.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changes in work assignments.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills, as well as analytical testing skills.
- Able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
This position requires standing and working at a lab bench as well as sitting at a computer. Must
be able to walk on uneven surfaces safely, and climb tall platform ladders. May include
occasional lifting up to 50 pounds.
The work is performed inside under laboratory conditions, and outside in a sunny warm climate.
Position requires some handling of chemicals, with appropriate personal protective equipment.
Protection from sun exposure may be required.
Post-offer background check and drug screen are performed. Must be 18 years or older. All applicants must provide a resume.
Cyanotech Corporation is an EOE Minorities/Women/Disability/Veterans
Full position description and application can be found at:
Benefits of Membership
- A voice on ABO policy initiatives.
- Access to members-only resources.
- Discounted pricing to ABO events, and more!