Careers in Algae
ABO is dedicated to the advancement of the algae sector. If you are an algae professional looking for new job opportunities in the algae industry or a company/organization seeking new employees, the ABO careers pare is here to connect you.
Employers, ABO will post job openings pertinent to the algal industry on its website for 30 days. Platinum, Gold, and Silver members of the ABO receive this service free of charge. Non-ABO members or members holding a non-qualifying membership may purchase job listings for $100 for 30 days. Please send job description and qualification requirements to: email@example.com
Job seekers, please see the postings below and follow the individual instructions for application. ABO does not field inquiries for outside positions.
Temporary Research Associate, Viridos
Viridos (formerly Synthetic Genomics, Inc) is a privately held biotechnology company harnessing the power of photosynthesis to create transformative solutions to mitigate climate change. Our unparalleled understanding of algal genetics and ability to translate innovation from lab to field underpins our initial deployment: a scalable platform to produce low-carbon intensity biofuels for aviation, commercial trucking, and maritime shipping. Building on a legacy of genomic firsts, our team of scientists and engineers are shaping new pathways toward a sustainable bioeconomy. We are currently looking to add a Temporary Research Associate to our team in La Jolla, CA.
The Temporary Research Associate will report to a senior scientist and focus on the research and development of algal production system which will mitigate climate change though reductions in US greenhouse gas emissions. The successful candidate will support development of genetic tools and strain engineering efforts to achieve performance deliverables leading to commercially viable algal host strains. Candidates should have practical knowledge of molecular biology, strain engineering, and/or microbial physiology. Knowledge of phycology a plus.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Genetic manipulation of algal host strains in collaboration with other project members
- Small scale cultivation of strains including media preparation and culture maintenance
- Practical working knowledge of modern techniques in synthetic biology, including DNA assembly, nucleic acid manipulation, cloning, DNA sequencing, and PCR
- Generate detailed and complete notebook and communicate data to group in written and oral reports
- Interact effectively within a fast-paced multidisciplinary team
- Requires a Bachelors or Masters degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Microbiology or a related field with a minimum of 2 years of experience in industry or an academic lab.
- Basic molecular biology techniques (PCR, SDS-page, molecular cloning, sequencing, RNA isolation, Western Blotting, etc)
- Proven ability to budget time and manage several distinct projects at once
- Eagerness to develop, learn and adapt new tools and methods
- Experience working with both industrial and/or non-traditional strains is preferred
- Good sterile technique is a must
Director of Analytical Sciences & Informatics, Viridos
Viridos (formerly Synthetic Genomics, Inc) is a privately held biotechnology company harnessing the power of photosynthesis to create transformative solutions to mitigate climate change. Our unparalleled understanding of algal genetics and ability to translate innovation from lab to field underpins our initial deployment: a scalable platform to produce low-carbon intensity biofuels for aviation, commercial trucking, and maritime shipping. Building on a legacy of genomic firsts, our team of scientists and engineers are shaping new pathways toward a sustainable bioeconomy. We are currently looking to add a Director, Analytical Sciences to our team in La Jolla, CA.
The director will oversee company-wide analytical technologies from small scale R&D biological samples through to finished product which enable our algal engineering efforts for biofuel production.
The role is responsible for the management of the analytical sciences team and work closely with diverse, cross-functional teams both across the R&D organization as well as with external stakeholders, the successful candidate will drive the implementation of new data analytics tools and methods that facilitate our R&D program and our efforts towards larger-scale production.
- Participates in establishing strategic plans and objectives.
- Provides high-level guidance and support to employees and other managers. Regularly interacts with executives and/or external influencers on matters affecting the organization.
- Leads/manages analytical activities across the R&D organization and external service providers.
- Anticipates and recognizes analytical challenges and makes recommendations for solutions and allocation of resources needed to meet company goals.
- Champions approaches and builds tools that preserve scientific rigor and quality.
- Support and improve experimental design regarding anticipated data needs for projects.
- End-to-end analysis of project data that includes quality control, data qualification, hypothesis testing, interpretation, and subsequent presentation.
- Analyzes and presents data reports that translate complex ideas into relevant and intuitive explanations. This may include conference abstracts, manuscripts, and informatic deliverables for both grants and patent applications.
- Maintains awareness of relevant literature, attends national meetings, and keeps up with new techniques and approaches.
Required Experience and Skills
- Typically requires a minimum of 10 years of experience, including at least 5 years of successful leadership experience, and a Ph.D. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, or related field in an industrial/commercial laboratory setting.
- Experienced use of Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) highly desired.
- Proven track record of achievement in analytical sciences demonstrated by highly cited publications, impactful tools, products, or data sets used by the scientific community, presentations at international conferences, and awards.
- A diverse knowledge of modern biochemistry, organic chemistry, physical chemistry, and analytical chemistry.
- A track record of productivity with peer-reviewed publications and patents.
- Prior experience in project management in a research or industry setting.
- Proven leader of technical teams and subordinates.
- Build and sustain employee engagement by creating a culture of efficient execution and an environment in which individuals and teams can excel and continuously improve.
- Demonstrated state-of-the-art technical knowledge particularly with chromatographic separations (LC&GC), quantitative MRM MS, accurate-mass MS, MSn, modern extraction techniques, small-scale purification strategies, NMR, and FTIR.
- Experience with analysis of complex analytes in difficult matrices in food, fuels, and nutritional products (e.g., lipids, proteins, carbohydrates, natural products)
- Experience with modern data acquisition and analysis software with chemometrics and statistics.
- Able to work independently and within a team setting, possessing the flexibly to adapt to changing priorities across multiple interdisciplinary teams.
- Demonstrate initiative in the implementation of new projects and managing the necessary staffing required to meet project goals and deliverables.
- Critical thinking and proven problem-solving skills
- Can effectively establish priorities amongst competing project requests and anticipate trends which may change staffing or equipment requirements.
- Experience working with external contractors, such as partner industrial companies or external laboratories involved in chemical analysis.
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to collaborate, seek constructive feedback, build relationships, promote teamwork, and remain flexible and open-minded. Able to quickly adapt to change.
Site Manager, Viridos
Some farms grow food. Ours grows fuel.
Viridos (formerly Synthetic Genomics, Inc) is a privately held biotechnology company harnessing the power of photosynthesis to create transformative solutions to mitigate climate change. Our unparalleled understanding of algal genetics and ability to translate innovation from lab to field underpins our initial deployment: a scalable platform to produce low-carbon intensity biofuels for aviation, commercial trucking, and maritime shipping. Building on a legacy of genomic firsts, our team of scientists and engineers are shaping new pathways toward a sustainable bioeconomy. We are currently looking to add a Site Manager to our team in Calipatria, CA.
Under the direction of the Director, Phototrophic Production, the Site Manager will be responsible for ensuring day to day operations at the Farm are running on schedule and within scope while constantly striving for operational excellence by optimizing and making the Farm run as efficiently as possible. The Site Manager plays a key role in the overall mission at Viridos by providing operational insight and organization to our foundational research in the field. Collaboration and partnership with leadership onsite and at the La Jolla facility is a must for this role to be successful.
This position will be focused on developing and promoting better operational practices through the collaborative operation of multi-scale algae cultivation system(s). The position will require a self-motivated, detail orientated individual with excellent listening, communication, and problem-solving skills.
A TYPICAL DAY ON THE FARM
- You’ll lead a team of professionals including the Facilities Supervisor, Lab Manager, Production Supervisor, Operations and Safety Supervisor, and when needed, assist with Production R&D efforts.
- You will work directly with the Director of Phototrophic Production in setting the yearly site goals and operational standards for the site.
- You’ll coordinate with the Production R&D coordinator and Research Agronomist to ensure all experimental efforts are being coordinated and deployed to the field and that systems are prepared and ready for use.
- Collaborate with the Farm’s Production Manager to ensure pilot operations are running on schedule and farm operations are tailored to fit the pilot demands.
- You’ll work closely with the Farm’s Facilities Supervisor to coordinate and communicate Preventative Maintenance Schedules and routine Farm Maintenance and ensure all activities are done on time and on budget.
- You’ll work in collaboration with the Farm’s Lab Manager to ensure all needs are met regarding analytical system maintenance, consumable management and purchasing.
- You will work directly with our Operations Supervisor and Human Resources to on board new teamembers and assist with coordinating the IT needs without our IT department.
- You’ll collaborate with the site leadership team to identify opportunities for continuous improvements in operational efficiency, throughput, and yield. Our goal is to optimize Farm uptime and minimize any Farm downtime.
- Nothing else matters without a safe environment! You will work with our Safety Team to foster a culture where safety is non-negotiable.
- Since Viridos values a teamworking spirit and getting the job done, your skills will be used in a variety of productive and collaborative ways to support of mission of changing the word!!
STRENGTHS OF A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Operations Management, Chemistry, Biology or Engineering
- 5 or more years’ experience in a manufacturing/processing environment required. If that experience happens to be in the field of large-scale algae farm management, that’s a win!!!
- You have at least 5 years of leadership experience in team building, delegation, and performance management. We value the continued development of our team, being a mentor matters.
- If you have had experience in translation of new process or improvements through development and scale-up phases, that would be preferred.
- You possess excellent organizational, time management, and communication skills as well as the ability to adapt to change.
- Experience in downstream material handling and supply chain management will give you a leg up!!
- You are a champion of safety and environmental stewardship. We take site safety very seriously and so should you!
- You have the ability develop team members by encouraging individual initiative to achieve personal and organizational goals.
- You understand the value of communication.
- You have the technical aptitude to learn and understand the algal production processes.
- You strive for continuous improvement – Never Satisfied.
Scientist/Senior Scientist—Systems Biology, Viridos
Viridos (formerly Synthetic Genomics, Inc) is a privately held biotechnology company harnessing the power of photosynthesis to create transformative solutions to mitigate climate change. Our unparalleled understanding of algal genetics and ability to translate innovation from lab to field underpins our initial deployment: a scalable platform to produce low-carbon intensity biofuels for aviation, commercial trucking, and maritime shipping. Building on a legacy of genomic firsts, our team of scientists and engineers are shaping new pathways toward a sustainable bioeconomy. We are currently looking to add a Scientist to our team in La Jolla, CA.
The Scientist will apply knowledge in strain engineering, metabolic engineering, and algal physiology to achieve deliverables leading to commercially viable algae for the production of fuels and high-value chemicals. The successful candidate will have extensive experience in metabolic engineering and strain design, as well as screening and selection techniques to improve algal productivity. A good working knowledge of FACS and metabolic modeling techniques are desirable.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Scientist will work with project leads and teams of scientists, contributing significant intellectual input into the design of experiments, employing advanced techniques to improve the efficiency of developing strains.
- Carefully execute laboratory experiments, including growth of photosynthetic microbes under meticulously defined conditions.
- Contribute to the design, building and testing of metabolic engineering strategies to improve algal productivity.
- Design and set up innovative screens and selections to improve algal productivity.
- Consistently demonstrate initiative in implementing projects and/or necessary work.
- Regularly present results to internal and external stakeholders.
- Keep organized and detailed documentation. Develop SOPs for documentation and knowledge transfer.
- Keep up to date with current literature in strain engineering and implement new technologies as relevant.
- Requires a Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Molecular/Cell Biology, Plant Biology, or a related field and 0-3 years of relevant postdoctoral or industrial experience, or a Master’s degree with at least 5 years industrial experience.
- Broad and detailed experience with metabolic engineering of photosynthetic organisms.
- Experience setting up effective screens and selections.
- Working knowledge and experience with modern nucleic acid sequence analysis and other bioinformatics tools is desirable.
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills to facilitate interactions with a highly interdisciplinary team.
- Experience working with eukaryotic algae or other microbial photoautotrophs is an advantage.
- Programming and data analysis skills are highly desirable.
Research Engineer – Full Time
MicroBio Engineering Inc. is a biotechnology company developing algae-based technologies for greenhouse gas abatement, wastewater resource recovery, and production of bioproducts and biofuels. We support corporate and government clients with their scientific and engineering endeavors in these fields.
Job Description: You will work with a small team of scientists and engineers to conduct experimental work on use of microbial cultures to solve environmental problems and produce bioproducts. The research will be conducted both in the laboratory and in outdoor bioreactors. We are conducting major projects on utilization of CO2 from air for cultivation of microalgae to be used in nutritional and other products. Separate projects focus on recovery of nutrients from polluted waters. This is an opportunity to work with experienced professionals in a unique research setting.
We are looking for candidates with the following attributes:
- Ability to analyze and synthesize prior research and literature.
- Design experiments to test hypotheses.
- Communicate and coordinate tasks with team members.
- A self-starter who takes ownership of assignments.
- Proactive in organizing tasks and workflow.
- Comfortable in both support and leadership roles.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Job duties include:
- Protein isolation and characterization; assays for enzymatic and metabolic activities.
- Implement, validate new biochemical assays with minimal guidance.
- Prepare growth media; maintain and monitor microbial cultures.
- Conduct analytical tests to characterize growth performance and water chemistry.
- Design and build gas flow controllers, continuous water quality recorders, for example
- Record and organize data and observations into digital spreadsheets.
- Data analysis, statistics, and synthesis of experimental results; conclusions
- Draft project reports and publications.
- Position may require some travel.
- Familiarity with standard laboratory safety policies and protocols.
- Able to safely lift 50 lbs and have a valid driver’s license.
- Proficiency in laboratory math, including making solutions, buffers, dilutions, etc.
- Read and understand equipment manuals to troubleshoot instruments.
- Experience with data analysis techniques and software (Excel, Python, R)
- Familiarity with data logging and control systems, comfortable with writing simple scripts (LabView, Python) to configure experimental equipment.
- Keep complete, concise, clear records; organize, schedule tasks based on project needs.
- Occasional early mornings, evenings, and weekends work, depending on experiments.
- Prior work with photosynthetic cell culture a plus.
Desired Education: Depending on experience, the position is open to candidates with B.S. to Ph.D. degrees in Chemical Engineering or similar majors, with experience in Biotechnology, Environmental Engineering, Biochemistry, Oceanography, Aquaculture and related disciplines.
Job location: San Luis Obispo, CA. Modest travel is required.
Please email your resume and cover letter (indicate desired start date) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is to be filled starting in September, but a later starting date will be considered. Current project funding is for two years, future employment is contingent on new or additional project funding.
Research Specialist – Contracted Work
Cyanotech Corporation is a world leader in microalgae technology, producing BioAstin® and Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica®, and classified an “essential business.”
This is a full-time, limited-term, non-exempt position that will be employed through a contract staffing agency. The principal job responsibility is to conduct algal cultivation research funded by, and under the terms of, a grant to Cyanotech Corporation by the US Department of Energy (the “OSPREY” project; https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2019/09/f67/2029-1657_New_Mexico_Consortium_Summary.pdf).
The individual reports to Cyanotech’s Director of Applied Research. The individual is responsible for growing the alga, Nannochloropsis, at laboratory and minipond scales at the Cyanotech Innovation Center; collecting and interpreting growth and algal quality data on a scheduled basis; processing samples of various types from the cultures and shipping them to other participants in the grant for analysis; identifying, isolating, and performing analyses on eukaryotic pests and weeds that appear in the cultures; participating in regularly-scheduled conference calls and other communications related to the research; preparing and submitting regular reports to the research
team; assisting the Director of Applied Research in preparing formal reports and scientific publications. The position is available for a maximum of three years from July 2020, contingent on continued funding from the grantor.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Maintains laboratory stock cultures of the experimental alga Nannochloropsis.
- Performs work required to rear Nannochloropsis in 200L miniponds at the Cyanotech Innovation Center, including media preparation, scaling of laboratory culture to appropriate volume for pond inoculation, preparing ponds to receive culture and maintaining those ponds, recording critical information (e.g. temperature, pH, salinity) while semi-continuous cultures are in place.
- Samples ponds on a regular basis and conducts analyses on those samples (e.g. density, growth rate, ash-free dry weight, photosynthetic efficiency, quality parameters.)
- Prepares samples for research by other laboratories (e.g., for metagenomic analyses of pond content) and sends these out in a regular and timely manner.
- Learns to recognize eukaryotic pests and weeds, isolates these contaminants into culture when feasible, and conducts microscopic and CNA-based procedures to identify and characterize them, and assess their impacts on Nannochloropsis.
- Keeps impeccable and secure laboratory notes, and shares these notes as appropriate with the Director of Applied Research and with OSPREY project team members.
- Participates in periodic (monthly) conference calls with OSPREY team members, and in other communications within the project.Form#RD-C1 Rev #1 6/17/2020
- Prepares reports to be shared among OSPREY project.
- Prepares reports to be shared among OSPREY project team members.
- Assists the Director of Applied Research and other OSPREY project team members in preparing reports to the grantor (US Department of Energy), conference presentations, and scientific papers.
- Works effectively with other personnel in the R&D Department.
- Complies with GMP and safety guidelines in all work duties. Helps maintain a safe laboratory.
- Performs all necessary tasks as directed by the supervisor, however tasks that are not within the terms of reference of the grant are not to be assigned unless explicitly arranged, and paid for, by Cyanotech Corporation.
- Performs other duties that may be assigned, under the conditions described above.
- Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology, Biology, Chemistry, Agriculture, Marine Science or relevant discipline.
- Two or more years of algal laboratory experience and/or experience in algal production or aquaculture. Experience with molecular biology (DNA) theory and techniques desirable.
- Ability to work efficiently, cooperatively, and with strong personal integrity in a fast-paced manufacture environment that has proprietary information to safeguard.
- Proficiency in math and PC-based computer applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Strong math and statistics skills.
- Strong problem-solving aptitude.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changes in work assignments.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills, as well as analytical testing skills.
- Able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
This position requires standing and working at a lab bench as well as sitting at a computer. Must
be able to walk on uneven surfaces safely, and climb tall platform ladders. May include
occasional lifting up to 50 pounds.
The work is performed inside under laboratory conditions, and outside in a sunny warm climate.
Position requires some handling of chemicals, with appropriate personal protective equipment.
Protection from sun exposure may be required.
Post-offer background check and drug screen are performed. Must be 18 years or older. All applicants must provide a resume.
Cyanotech Corporation is an EOE Minorities/Women/Disability/Veterans
Full position description and application can be found at:
Benefits of Membership
- A voice on ABO policy initiatives.
- Access to members-only resources.
- Discounted pricing to ABO events, and more!