2014 Algae Industry Survey Shows Optimism for Job Growth and Increased Production
The results are in! ABO’s 2014 Algae Industry Survey is complete and shows widespread optimism for continued job creation and increased commercialization in the algae industry!
We sent out the survey earlier this month to ABO members and industry contacts such as those producing and buying algae or algae-derived products, equipment manufactures, research laboratories, providers of equipment or materials, government agencies and service providers. Over 280 algae industry stakeholders responded.
Respondents to ABO’s 2014 Survey were found to be very optimistic about the industry’s future, just as they were in the 2012 and 2013 surveys:
- 83% believe that algae-derived fuels are likely to be price competitive with fossil fuels by 2020.
- 72% agree that production will increase in existing and new facilities.
- 86% feel that improved supportive federal policy would accelerate both the production of algae based fuels, feeds, fertilizers and other products as well as the number of jobs across the industry.
More results from the survey can be seen in the slides below.
The strength of the optimism stems from the widespread progress seen in the algae industry. We have seen immense breakthroughs in research and commercialization efforts over the past year, with companies opening or continuing successful operations at pilot or commercial production facilities, making new advances in yields and algae biology, and attracting renewed policy attention with the formation of the Congressional Algae Caucus.
“In just five short years, this industry has blossomed from a loose collection of researchers and labs to an integrated network and commercial markets, creating jobs and contributing to food and energy security for the United States,” said Margaret McCormic, chair of Algae Biomass Organization board and CEO of Matrix Genetics.
An executive summary of the 2014 ABO Survey results can be viewed here.
Benefits of Membership
- A voice on ABO policy initiatives.
- Access to members-only resources.
- Discounted pricing to ABO events, and more!