$78 Million Announced for Bioenergy Research Funding–Algae Included!
This month the Department of Energy announced two funding opportunities of interest to ABO members that will support early-stage bioenergy research and development under the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy’s Bioenergy Technologies Office:
- BioEnergy Engineering for Products Synthesis (up to $28 million): This multi-topic FOA seeks to develop highly efficient conversion processes for improving the affordability of fuels and products from biomass and waste streams. BETO anticipates funding 14-28 awards for between $1 million and $2.5 million each. Letters of intent are due by May 30, 2018. Full applications are due by June 27, 2018. The FOA seeks early-stage research proposals that cover several topics pertaining to conversion processes:
- Innovative catalysts for thermochemical processing
- New biological approaches for higher conversion efficiency
- Novel bio-based products that outperform conventional materials (e.g., plastics, polymers, etc.)
- Conversion of wet organic wastes to biofuels, bioproducts, and biopower
- Conversion of carbon dioxide (CO2) to make fuels and products
- New processes to break down lignin and synthesize higher value biofuels and bioproducts
- Efficient Carbon Utilization in Algal Systems (up to $15 million): This research funding opportunity seeks proposals in two areas to improve the cost-competitiveness of algae-based biofuels and bioproducts. BETO anticipates funding 6-10 awards for between $1.5 million and $2.5 million each to industry- and academia-led consortia. Letters of intent are due by May 30, 2018. Full applications are due by June 27, 2018. Topic areas include:
- Increase the productivity of algae by improving uptake and conversion of waste CO2emissions, such as from a power plant or industrial facility
- Develop new, affordable technologies to capture CO2 directly from ambient air to enhance algal growth
Learn more about these opportunities, and others, at the BETO Funding Opportunities web page.
Benefits of Membership
- A voice on ABO policy initiatives.
- Access to members-only resources.
- Discounted pricing to ABO events, and more!