ABO Technical Standards : Contributing Order to the Algal Industry
Technical Standards Committee Mission Set by ABO Bylaws:
- Develop and advocate industry standards and best practices
- Liaise with Members, Standards Organizations, and Government
- Facilitate information flow between industry stakeholders
- Review ABO technical positions and recommendations
- Undertake special projects as directed by the ABO Board
Committee Activities in 2015:
- Promote Industrial Algae Measurements 7.0 (IAM 7.0) as industry standard.
- Recruit additional Committee members to further expand ABO’s experience in the market segments of food, feed, fuel, nutraceutical and bio-based chemicals.
- Continue to identify, adapt, generate, and recommend specific measurement methodologies and guidelines that address ABO targeted markets for algal biomass.
1 – Dr. Lieve M. L. Laurens, Committee chair, Senior research scientist, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO, USA,
2 – Dr. Keith Cooksey, Deputy committee chair, Environmental biotechnology consultant, Professor emeritus, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT, USA
3 – Jim Sears, Co-founder Visual Exploration LLC, former ABO committee chair and CTO, A2BE Carbon Capture LLC, Boulder, CO, USA
4 – Dr. Mark Edwards, Professor, Arizona State University Morrison School of Agribusiness and Resource Management, Vice president at Algae Biosciences Inc
5 – Dr. Tryg Lundquist, Associate professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
6 – Dr. Craig Behnke, Vice president at Sapphire Energy, San Diego, CA, USA
7 – Dr. Niko Schultz – Corporate research and technology development, SCHOTT, Mainz, Germany
8 – Steve Howell, President and founder of MARC-IV, Chairman of the ASTM task force on biodiesel standards, Kearney, MO, USA
9 – Gina Clapper, Technical specialist, AOCS, American Oil Chemists’ Society, Urbana, IL, USA
10 – Dr. Robert Gardner, Assistant professor, Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering, University of Minnesota, Morris, MN, USA
11 – Emily Slaby, Independent consultant, Minneapolis, MN, USA
12 – Dr. Jose Olivares, Division leader Biosciences Division, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, USA
13 – Dr. Robert McCormick, Principal engineer, Fuels Performance, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO, USA
14 – Dr. Rose Ann Cattolico, Professor of Algal Biology, University of Washington
Committee Member Recruitment: The ABO Technical Standards Committee is looking for additional members who have interest and capabilities that are aligned with the Committee’s 2015 objectives. Please email Lieve.Laurens@nrel.gov Committee Chairman.